This Week in Kindergarten…

Popcorn Words: what, it

Reading: This week in reading, we focused on our SUPER READING POWERS because…WE ARE SUPER READERS! The SUPER READING POWERS we practiced this week are pointer power, snap word power and partner power. Snap word power is when a reader can find words they know, like sight words, and read those words in a snap. Partner power is when readers help each other when they are reading. The kinders worked with their reading partner to read a book together, taking turns to point and read to each other while helping each other with words that might be tricky. We had fun practicing with The Itsy Bitsy Spider. Picture power is when readers really look at the picture to see if it matches the words written.

Writing: During writing this week, we continued writing pattern books. This week we focused on books that have the same beginning pattern on each page, with the last word on every page changing. The Kinders practiced writing the words they know how to write/spell and stretch out the ones they don’t. They are doing a great job of adding details! It is fun to see them notice pattern books during read aloud and when they are reading to themselves too! They are learning so much!

Math: This week in math, we learned about seeing 5 groups and extra ones to make larger numbers…6-10 by playing a fun game using holiday erasers for practice.  We also told some subtraction stories using the erasers too.  We also practiced some number stories on white boards, both adding and subtracting numbers. 

Literacy: During our literacy time this week, we had fun doing some gingerbread man activities! The Kinders are doing such a great job during our split lit time! They are working on many skills…stretching out words, labeling pictures, practicing popcorn words and reading books! Way to go Kinders!

Mystery Reader: Gabby was super excited when her mom walked through our door and read us a Berenstain Bears story! The Kinders LOVE the Berenstain Bears and LOVE listening to stories…so it was perfect!!

Where in the World is the Gingerbread Man? This week we read The Gingerbread Man on the Loose at Christmas. The Gingerbread Man sent us a postcard saying he traveled to France. We had fun learning about all of the things that he was seeing in France! We got our passports, got on an airplane (it even sounded like an airplane in our room) and headed to France! It was a lot of fun! We are excited to see what other adventures the Gingerbread Man has planned for us!

NICHOLAS THE NICE NINJA: We have been given missions every day from Nicholas the Nice Ninja to spread some kindness to others. The Kinders are so sweet and love to do nice things for others! They take their missions very seriously!! We had some kindness shown to us on Friday, when Mrs. Kuieck’s second graders came to our room and read to us! We wanted to say thank you, so we made them a snowman as a thanks!

HOLIDAY PROGRAM: Wow!! I am so lucky to have such great performers in my class!! The Kinders did a wonderful job at the program!! I did not have my camera with me during the program (I can’t believe I forgot it), but I did get some pictures during the practice. Enjoy!

BOOK EXCHANGE:  Thank you so much for sending in your holiday book exchange wrapped gift. If you would like your kinder to participate, please send a book in soon. Please let me know if you have any questions, jbaker4@hpseagles.net.

TAKE HOME BOOK PROGRAM:  Starting in January, the Kinders will begin bringing home books to read 3 days a week. I would like to get volunteers to come to our classroom on Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays from 2:00-3:00. I would love to have 2 parents/grandparents scheduled each day to listen to the Kinders read and choose a new book. If you would like to be part of this fun volunteer activity, please email me and I will be happy to include you in the schedule. It is so exciting to see our kinders become readers.

Holiday Party: Our party is on Thursday, December 20 from 2:00-3:00. Party volunteers can arrive at 1:30pm to set up. Mrs. Reagan has made a request……Due to the large number of parent volunteers attending class parties with in the school, Mrs. Reagan has limited the parent attendees to ONLY those volunteering. You MUST have completed a background check if you wish to volunteer. Thank you for understanding.

UPCOMING DATES

Monday, December 17: Gym

Tuesday, December 18: Art ; Library…please return your library book!

Wednesday, December 19: STEAM;  Grinch Day – wear GREEN, or dress like Grinch characters. It will be a fun filled Grinch day!

Thursday, December 20: Music; Holiday Party…It will be held from 2:00-3:00pm.  Thank you for being part of our second class party!! Parent volunteers can arrive at 1:30 for set up.  

Friday, December 21: Gym; Polar Express Day…wear your pajamas!! You are welcome to wear slippers too, but please leave blankets and pillows at home.

Monday, December 23 – Friday, January 5:  NO SCHOOL, Holiday Break.  School resumes on Monday, January 7!  

~Mrs. Baker