POPCORN WORDS: and, get
READING: This week during reading, we learned about having Reading Playdates. We learned that Avid Readers have reading playdates to make them better readers. With our reading partners we practiced having reading playdates. This is what we played:
- played games – search our books for popcorn words to see how many we could find
- played school – pretended to be the teacher using our books
- played pretend – acted out our books while reading with our partners
WRITING: During writing this week, we finished up learning about writing opinion papers. The kindergarteners practiced stating their opinion on a given topic and then gave 2 reasons to support their opinion. We ended the week with our first On Demand writing (a writing assessment that the kinders did all by themselves). These are the things we wrote about this week:
- What is your favorite pet?
- What is your favorite snack?
- What do you like to eat for breakfast?
- What do you like about Georgetown?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
MATH: This week during math, we practiced finding partners of 10 using break apart sticks. Then we wrote equations to match the partners. We also learned about 3D shapes. We talked about the difference between 2D and 3D shapes and then sorted shape pictures. We also practiced math mountains – “mountains” that have the total on the top and the partners “rolling down the mountain”. We looked for groups of things that were GREATER and groups of things that were LESS. We also practiced our number writing.
LITERACY/PHONICS: During our literacy time this week, we practiced words families. We talked about how word families are words that rhyme and we came up with some words. We sorted short e and short u words. We listened to the word, decided which vowel sound we heard in the word and then wrote the word. We will continue to practice listening for the vowel sounds we hear in words. We practiced our popcorns words and words in the “in” word family.
BLACK HISTORY MONTH LEARNING: This week in Kindergarten, we learned about George Washington Carver. We learned that he was a scientist, and invented many things using peanuts. He believed in determination! Thank you George Washington Carver for your curiosity! We made a jar of peanut butter to remind us of George Washington Carver.
KINDNESS SUPER STARS…These are our Super Stars from the week spreading some kindness to others!
We finished the week by making kindness bracelets for our 5th grade buddies! We made them each a bracelet along with a note. We are kind Kinders!
- Send 2 snacks each day to school
- Wear your winter gear – the playground is messy
- Return take home book bags and library books on Tuesday
- Dress “Seuss-ish” on Tuesday to celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday
- March is Reading Month Friday dress-up day: wear a cowboy hat, handkerchief or bandana
Monday, March 1: Gym
Tuesday, March 2: Art; Library; Return take home book bags and library books; Dress “Seuss-ish” to celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday!
Wednesday, March 3: STEAM
Thursday, March 4: Music
Friday, March 5: Art; Early Release Day-dismissed at 12:15; March is Reading Month: Wear a cowboy hat, handkerchief or bandana